Shylo Preston, Kitchen & Bath Designer at The Kitchen Source

Shylo-Anne Preston is part of the Design/Remodeling team at The Kitchen Source. ~
Tel. 214-751-8133 ~ Email Me!

Monday, May 16, 2011

Cupboards versus Cabinetry

I recently stumbled upon a forum, wherein a poster was asking for help in choosing where to purchase new cabinetry.  Like many of us, she was torn between quality and price.  Since cabinetry is a particular passion of mine, I couldn't help but share my two cents.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, as you said, your dilemma is a pretty common one.

Full disclosure; I am a Kitchen & Bath Designer and have been for close to 15 years.  In that time I've worked with over 13 different cabinet lines, from very low end to very high end.  On the low end you might be better off trying to install the cardboard box the cabinet came in, to the high end where you are literally lining your room with custom made fine furniture.  Neither is appropriate in all situations.

In all of my experiences and the nightmares that I've seen in the field, my biggest take away is this... if this purchase is any more than a temporary fix, always buy the very best you can afford.  Good quality cabinetry should last for 20+ years.  Most of today's builder grade/ stock cabinets that look great in photography or in a showroom, will not hold up to the riggers of daily use, and within a very short time will begin to look really bad.  Sagging hinges, failing drawer boxes & peeling finishes.

Realtors will often say the best way to get the largest possible return on your home is to purchase the least expensive house in a really nice neighborhood.  It is similarly true of cabinetry; the best way to get the biggest bang for your buck is to find a very high quality cabinet with a lifetime warranty and a longstanding reputation for worth, and then with the help of the sales consultant, explore the least expensive options of that line.  Often you'll end up enjoying all of the benefits of the quality construction, with only slightly limited selections on door style and color.  In addition, a showroom that deals with high quality cabinetry is likely to have access to the best installers, which can make all the difference in the world to your finished product.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodmode-Construction



2 comments:

  1. Ok, here's a question: how to do you know if you're over-renovating your house? I have many more projects I'd like to do, but I'm at risk of coming near my purchase price! I also have no plans on moving in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it - thanks Jennifer! I'm going to pull together some thoughts and information. Watch for a post soon!

    ReplyDelete